Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday 3rd August - still in Bowen

The info place told us about a place just outside Bowen that has a display of Hibiscus, so we rang the chap, Walter, and arranged to go to his place to see a few hibiscus. After getting him to find us (how the hell can you get lost on a straight bloody road!)ha ha ha I can hear you saying..I tell ya...I can lost anywhere.
It turns out that he is the president of some hibiscus society and is responsible for the propegation and naming of several varities of hibiscus. As we were walking round, with Walter giving a non-stop commentary on heaps of plants etc, he pointed out one called David Grimes. I said to him - I know a Dr called David Grimes - he treated me for cancer. Yep, says Walter, that's him - we name some of the hibiscus after people who do good for others. Turns out there are quite a number of hibiscus named after oncologists.

We ended up spending about 2 hours there - having a look at some of the 13,000 varities of hibiscus - Walter doesn't have that many - he only has about 150 or so.....

I will not bore you but have just put a few of the more interesting flowers here





























No comments:

Post a Comment